Monday, April 2, 2007

First Post / DNS Identity

So, this is my first post (thanks for Jon D for encouraging this). On this blog I'm going to cover different tips and tricks that I discover while coding in WPF and WCF. I hope to update it once to twice a week time permitting.

Over the weekend I was working on our syncing engine and I came across the overridden method call into EndpointAddress constructor which takes an EndpointIdentity. I did a little looking around on the web and found out that this lets your endpoint specify its DNS identity for incoming connections. Basically this remaps the incoming connections to a different DNS identity for the sake of WCF.

Now most of the time this might not be of much use, but in our case it is very important. We have connections coming into our server from multiple NICs/IP Addresses/Subnets. The WCF ServiceHost has no problem's binding on multiple addresses, but it only lets you specific one transport SSL certificate which must map to the CNAME of the incoming traffic. Before I found this command, this fact basically limited me to one IP address to monitor with SSL enabled. Using this command, all the connections emulate one DNS name and therefore I can use just one SSL cert corresponding to that name. Problem solved...

No comments: